The Ideas theme can be extended with the use of additional plugins. One plugin that we recommend from the beginning is Jetpack.
Jetpack is “a WordPress plugin that supercharges your self-hosted WordPress site with the awesome cloud power of WordPress.com”.
It offers several features, but the main feature we intend to use is the email subscriptions for comments. This will allow users to subscribe to follow-up comments on ideas and receive email notifications on new comments.
- If your don’t have Jetpack installed already, please download directly from WordPress, or use the ‘Upload’ from the plugins page.
- Activate the plugin
- Click Jetpack on the left menu
- Click ‘Connect to WordPress.com’ (does not work on a localhost)
- Click the connect button and log in to a WordPress.com account to authorize the Jetpack connection
- If you don’t yet have a WordPress.com account, you can quickly create one after clicking the connect button
- After activating Jetpack you’ll see several options available. The one we’re looking for is ‘Subscriptions’:
- The new subscription option will add a new option to the Discussion settings page. Clicking ‘Configure’ will open the Discussion settings page:
- Click ‘Follow Comments’
- A new option will now be visible below the comments box:
That’s it. You’ve configured Jetpack for use with Ideas!